Frequently Asked Questions

You will find all the answers to the most frequently asked questions below:


1. Is my medication covered?

If you have private insurance, we invite you to contact your insurer and provide the DIN ;

If you will be using the RAMQ, you can verify on the  RAMQ website or ask your local pharmacist.


2. My cancer medication is too expensive, who can help me?

We invite you to verify with your Oncology Drug Access Navigator or your doctor

3. My pharmacist tells me that my private insurance does not cover my cancer medication, what can I do?

We invite you to contact your insurance company to find out why, and then contact your Oncology Drug Access Navigator


4. I lost my job and my private insurance, what happens to my drug coverage?

You must register with the RAMQ, then consult with your Oncology Drug Access Navigator in order to send the authorization request to the RAMQ.


5. What is the difference between a brand-name drug, a generic and a biosimilar drug?

Brand-name or innovator drugs are products patented by pharmaceutical companies. Generic drugs are copies of them and are cheaper. They contain the same medicinal ingredients and are approved by Health Canada, and abide by the same quality standards.

A biosimilar is a drug that is similar to the original with clinical effects equivalent to the original.


6. I have just moved to Quebec, will my medication be covered?


7. What is Quebec’s healthcare reimbursement system?

Private insurance and/or RAMQ.


8. What is the difference in cancer drug coverage (private and public) if I have oral and/or intravenous treatment?

  • The oral medication will be purchased at an external pharmacy;
  • If reimbursed by the RAMQ, the intravenous medication will be administered at the hospital for both private insurance and RAMQ. For those with private insurance, the intravenous treatment can be administered at a private infusion clinic, in some cases ;
  • For both oral and intravenous treatment, drugs will be provided by the hospital ;
  • For a medication given on compassionate grounds: on a case by case basis, depending on the patient’s insurance coverage.


9. The RAMQ no longer covers my medication, what can I do?

First, you need to verify if the authorization has expired
Your pharmacist can request a temporary extension from the RAMQ, while your doctor can make a request to the RAMQ for an authorization to pursue treatment.


10. The RAMQ and my private insurance sent me a letter. Who can explain its contents to me?

You should call the RAMQ first. Usually, there is a number on the letter you can use to contact them, should you need more information.
You can also contact your Oncology Drug Access Navigator or your treating physician. They can provide additional information and to do the necessary follow-ups with you.


11. Is there a subsidy program for travel to my medical appointments?

Yes, there is the Transportation program: One kilometer at a time. The program One kilometer at a time is designed for individuals newly diagnosed with a blood cancer, those facing a relapse or those starting treatment for the first time. It provides a one-time $400 travel subsidy to those facing financial hardship to help cover the following costs:

  • Gasoline and parking
  • Parking costs at cancer centers
  • Meals on the road
  • Travel within the city centres via bus, taxi or Uber

You are eligible if you:

  • Reside in Canada
  • Are 18 years old or older
  • Are experiencing financial hardship
  • Have been diagnosed with a blood cancer, relapsed or started first treatment within the last three months
  • Have a minimum of four medical appointments related to your blood cancer diagnosis at a recognized cancer treatment facility in the next 60 days
  • Provide a medical appointment schedule or an email/note from a nurse or social worker stating you will have at least four medical appointments within the next 60 days.

You can find the programme information here:

The application form here: